In 1882, a New Yorker named Theodore Loop trekked all the way across the country to southern California to build a railroad to connect Los Angeles, CA, to San Diego, CA. The original train tracks were laid down in the middle of a plot of land known as “Township 14,” which is known today as Del Mar, the affluent beach city located in San Diego. Less than two years ago, a new corporate office complex was built in the heart of Del Mar — consisting of a four-story building and an adjacent three-story structure — and was named “Township 14” to lend homage to the land’s historical roots.
The two office buildings are located on High Bluff Drive in the center of Del Mar Heights, a premier business district in San Diego, and are part of a one-of-a-kind project in the area, according to Darrel Fullbright, design director and senior associate at the international architectural firm, Gensler, in their San Diego, CA office. “The project entailed the demolition of one of a two-building complex and the re-skin of the other,” he said. “The demolished structure was functionally obsolete, as it was a custom design for a tenant long gone. The new design took the same square footage contained in the existing two-story building and reapportioned it into three stories, thus creating a smaller footprint and allowing for more parking onsite. The area has a long history of requiring traditional brick facades, and the client wanted a more forward [modern] design aesthetic, so the concept was to combine extensive glass facades that address the freeway scale with punched openings complementing the neighborhood sides.”