Peter C. Johnson, Jr. was awarded the Tile Council of North America's (TCNA) prestigious 2005 Tile Person of the Year award during Coverings 2005 in Orlando, Florida.
For more than 30 years, "Pete" Johnson has worked on behalf of the tile industry. The following highlights characterize his remarkable service:
• Three term president of TCNA (the only member ever elected as TCNA president three times)
• Past member of the TCNA Marketing committee, serving for 20 years as Chairman
• Past chairman of the TCNA committee that established the CTDA (Ceramic Tile Distributors Association)
• Past chairman of the International Tile and Stone Expo, which is now known as Coverings
• Past chairman of the Tile Promotion Board
• Past manufacturing director of the National Tile Contractor's Association
• Representative of the Tile Council testifying numerous times before the U.S. Congress, the International Trade Commission, the Justice Department and U.S. Customs
Mr. Johnson worked in his family's business as a laborer at Summitville Tiles during his childhood. Later, he gained experience working in tile factories in Italy and Spain. After attending Bowling Green University in Ohio, Pete joined the family business full time, initially at Summitville's Baltimore distribution center and then back in the company's headquarters in Ohio.
In 1982, Mr. Johnson was named executive vice president of sales and marketing and became the vice chairman of the board of directors for Summitville Tiles. He worked tirelessly to expand Summitville's presence in the marketplace through its independent distributor market. He also headed up the advertising and marketing programs for the company and became the company's primary representative in various industry trade associations.
Today, Pete heads up his own ceramic tile distribution business in Boardman, Ohio, Architectural Cermaic Products, as well as maintaining his interest in Summitville Tiles. He and his wife, Gail, and three children reside on a farm near Summitville, where they share their interests in horse-back riding, hunting and fishing, and a rural lifestyle.
The award itself was created by four Tile Council members and an Ohio master craftsman, who contributed time and materials to create a one-of-a-kind commemorative Tile Person of the Year award. TCNA member, Brigid O'Connor of Artfind Tile designed the award using a laser engraved Summitville Strata 6-by-6 tile surrounded by metal tiles donated by TCNA member Metaphor Bronze.