Tile Council of North America (TCNA) has published the latest edition of theANSI A137.1 American National Standard Specifications for Ceramic Tile, and updated theANSI A108/A118/A136.1standards.
The A137.1 standard, reissued in 2008, was completely revised to better define the characteristics and performance of tile being manufactured today.
Here are just a few of the many improvements made to this standard:
- New and separate table for porcelain tile
- Tile sizing now divided into three categories (natural, calibrated, and rectified)
- Establishment of aesthetic classes
- New procedure for evaluating the mounting of mosaics
- Revised and better-defined sampling plan
- Significantly expanded definitions section allowing common industry terminology to be standardized
- New tables for determining acceptable deep abrasion values
- Listing of all performance criteria on a single page for each tile type (mosaic tile, quarry tile, pressed floor tile, glazed wall tile, porcelain tile)
- New dimensional caps allowing existing sizing specifications to be used for large format tile
- New tables categorizing chemical and stain resistance
- New country of origin requirement
- New procedure for evaluating shade variation
- 50 new CAD drawings of trim shapes
- New letter of compliance certificate
Updated ANSI A108/A118/A136.1 StandardThe TCNA has also published the newANSI A108/A118/A136.1 American National Standard Specifications for the Installation of Ceramic Tile.
Revisions to the ANSI A108 installation standard and the ANSI A118 and A136.1 materials standards were made, including, for the first time ever, the addition of a minimum grout joint width recommendation.
Also, changes were made to the way ANSI A118.10, A118.12 and 136.1 tests are performed (room temperature and humidity ranges were better defined for 118.10 and 118.12 testing, etc.). These changes are intended to make testing methods and results more accurate and standardized. Additionally, asphalt laminated paper was added as an acceptable vapor retarder membrane.
The A108/A118/A136.1 publication is a compilation of voluntary standards for the installation of ceramic tile. American National Standard Specifications A108.01, .02, .1A, .1B, .1C, .4, .5, .6, .8, .9, .10, .11, .12, .13, .14, .15, .16, and .17 define the installation of ceramic tile. A118.1, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7, .8, .9, .10, .11, .12, and A136.1 define the test methods and physical properties for ceramic tile installation materials. These standards are intended to be referenced or included in the ceramic tile sections of project specifications.
For information regarding these standards or to order these publications, visitwww.tileusa.com, or call (864) 646-8453.