From April-June 2009, Clear Seas Research in partnership with National Tile Contractors Association (NTCA) and TILE Magazine conducted research with industry professionals using both an online and mail survey data collection approach to understand industry trends, brand awareness/familiarity, brand preference, purchase drivers and current business practices. In total, 692 surveys were completed nationally by individuals that are owners/presidents and installers/contractors of installation businesses.
Highlights of the Tile and Stone Installation Contractor MarketParticipating installers/contractors report tile and stone products are used in three out of four of their flooring installations. One-half of respondents’ installation work is residential replacement and nearly one-third of their commercial business installation is in office buildings.(See Figure 1)
These individuals have been working in the installation business for an average of 22 years, and report an average 2008 total sales volume for installation work, including labor and supplies, of $1 million dollars.
Responding contractors/installers report the most frequently purchased installation products are; cement based mortars, backer boards, installation tools, sealers, cementitious grouts and waterproofing products.(See Figure 2)Installation products purchased vary by region. Compared to all other regions, the Northeast purchases fewer crack isolation products. While the Midwest purchases more backer boards and installation tools and fewer sound reduction products. The South is less likely to use radiant heat floor systems and more likely to use sound reduction products. Finally, the West purchases fewer organic adhesives and less urethane grout; again relative to all other regions.
Full Report ContentTopics covered in the full report include:
- Manufacturers Primarily Used
- Most Preferred Manufacturer and Top Reasons for Preference
- Detailed information on the following product categories: organic adhesives (mastics), backer boards for floor and wall tile, cleaners, crack isolation products, wet saws and diamond blades, cementitious grouts, epoxy grouts, cement based mortars (thinset), sealers, waterproofing products, tools and sound reduction products)
- Product-Specific Installation Activity (e.g. grout and adhesive usage, substrates for wall and flooring, sound reduction installation, heated floor installations, etc.)
- Overall Installation Work by Segment
- Where Installation Products are Purchased
- Important Factors Driving Brand Purchase Decisions