The American Institute of Architects (AIA) Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Women’s Leadership Development Summit Planning Committee has selected the recipients of the first annual Women in Architecture and Design Athena Award.
Recipients were selected based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrate excellence, creativity and initiative within the design professions
- Provide valuable service to improve the quality of life for others in her community
- Actively assist women within the design professions in achieving their full leadership potential/Clearly serve as a role model for young women both personally and professionally.
- Women in Architecture and Design ATHENA Leadership Award Recipient: Lori Garrett, AIA, Glave and Holmes Architecture, Richmond, VA.
- Women in Architecture and Design ATHENA Young Professional Leadership Award Recipient: Lira Luis, AIA, Atelier Luis, Chicago, IL
The awards were presented as part of the Women’s Leadership Development Summit. Guest speakers at that event included Jeanne Gang, FAIA, Principal and Founder of Studio Gang in Chicago, IL; Betsy Myers, who most recently served as a senior adviser to Barack Obama’s Presidential Campaign; and Rebecca Shambaugh, President and CEO of SHAMBAUGH, a leadership development firm in McLean, VA. The event also included a community service component; volunteers spent the afternoon with the Girl Scouts of Nassau County, Inc., and participated in interactive, hands-on activities showcasing architecture and design as a career path for girls.
For more information about the Women in Architecture and Design ATHENA Awards, visithere.
For more information about ATHENA International, visithere.