Education was high on the conference’s agenda, with breakout sessions addressing various industry-related topics, such as:
- The upcoming release of TCA’s 2011 Handbook which now includes guidelines, references and methods for stone, glass, and large format tiles, as well as substrates, steam showers, and more. As a result, the handbook has triples in size. TCNA’s Stephanie Samulski, who presented the handbook changes to a nearly full conference room, anticipates a mid-February availability of the 2011 edition.
- “Social Media: Get the Results You Want” with media pro Shauna Casey.
- “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Membranes, But Were Afraid to Ask” presented by the Materials and Methods and Standards Association (MMSA).
- “Ceramic and Porcelain Tile vs. Stone Tile Installations: Similarities and Differences” with the NTCA’s director of training, Gerald Sloan.
- Fred Jackson’s presentation on “Marketing Green in Today’s Oversaturated Green Market” included an eye-opening projection about the green market from Fred: “by 2013, the segment will be worth $90-100 billion.”
- “Understanding Tile’s Role in Green Building” with the TCNA Standards Development and Green Initiative Manager, Bill Griese, LEED AP. Incidentally, Bill mentioned that green tile standards are in the works (Green Squared). It will include everything related to tile including membranes, backerboards, substrates, underlayments, grout, mastics, caulk, and more.
- “Ask the Leader Forum” featured a panel of high level executives from two contractor companies, two manufacturing companies and distributor companies who were willing to share their expertise on topics of importance within their company in a Q&A format. The panelists, moderated by Statement Tile’s president Ryan Calkins, included: John Wirtz, Wirtz Quality Installations; Bob Roberson, David Allen Co.; Tom Kotel, Mid-America Tile; Brian Knies, Tile America; Real Bourdage, MAPEI Corp.; and Ed Metcalf, Laticrete International.
If you were unable to attend the 2010 edition of Total Solutions Plus, then mark your calendars now for the 2011 edition November 9-12 at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa in Phoenix, AZ.