MAPEI products, in cooperation with athletic track supplier Mondo, has partaken in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games as an adhesive supplier for 10 Olympic venues:
- the National Stadium (the famous “bird’s nest”) athletics track and common areas
- the Olympic Target-Shooting Stadium tennis courts and swimming pool
- the National Indoor Stadium handball courts
- the Wukesong Indoor Basketball Stadium common areas
- the Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium badminton courts and common areas
- the Olympic Sports Centre Gymnasium handball courts
- the Beijing Sports University training tracks
MAPEI products were also used in the following projects: In Tianjin, the Olympic Center Stadium athletics track; in Shanghai, the Shanghai Stadium athletics track; in Shenyang, the Shenyang Stadium athletics track
Many of the MAPEI products used in the Olympics project were adhesives specifically developed for the athletic tracks made of synthetic rubber flooring. The installation of this flooring required the use of polyurethane adhesives that could adhere properly to a bitumen cement substrate (Adesilex™ G12, Adesilex G19 and Adesilex G20).
“MAPEI was able to draw on the experience and reputation it has gained as the supplier of products for building and renovating Olympic facilities for more than 35 years in order to participate in the construction for the Beijing 2008 games,” said Dr. Giorgio Squinzi, CEO of MAPEI Group. MAPEI’s support of the Olympics construction was made possible by the company’s presence in China, where for a number of years now it has had three subsidiaries, including two manufacturing plants.