CLEMSON, SC--Tile Council of North America (TCNA) presented its prestigious Tile Person of the Year award to Mr. Sergio Narváez Garza, CEO of Lamosa’s tile division, at Coverings 2023 in Orlando, FL. This award is given to an individual who has made transformative changes to the North American tile industry.
“From the integration of Mexican tile manufacturers into TCNA and the founding of TCNA - Mexico nearly 20 years ago, to the recent launch of Obra Blanca Expo, Sergio Narváez has been at the forefront of numerous key TCNA initiatives to support and expand the North American tile industry,” stated TCNA Executive Director, Eric Astrachan. “In recognition of his leadership, vision, and dedication to improve our industry, we are pleased to honor him as this year’s TCNA Tile Person of the Year.”
Sergio has had a remarkable career. He graduated from the prestigious Institute of Technology and Higher Education of Monterrey (ITESM), one of Latin America’s best engineering schools, with a degree in mechanical engineering. He also holds an MBA from the same institution. He was recruited by Grupo Lamosa President Federico Toussaint Elosúa in 2000 when Lamosa was the third largest tile manufacturer in Mexico with approximately 20% of the Mexican tile market.
Over the last 20 years under Sergio’s leadership, Lamosa’s tile division gained and maintained market leadership in Mexico, grew its industrial capabilities to more than 20 plants in eight countries, increased sales 14 fold and became the world’s second largest tile manufacturer.
Additionally, Sergio demonstrated a strong commitment to the North American tile industry and TCNA from the beginning of his career at Lamosa. He served as TCNA president from 2010-2012 and from 2020-2022. Some of his other achievements for the tile industry include the following:
- 2003: Supported forming TCNA Mexico
- 2006: Supported creating the Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation in Mexico
- 2007: Supported creating tile installer certification schools in Mexico
- 2010: Supported the ISO/TC189 Standards Committee meeting in Mexico
- 2014: Supported forming TCNA’s testing and product certification laboratory in Mexico
- 2016: Supported a successful trade action in Mexico to counteract Chinese dumping practices
- 2017: Supported creating the “Why Tile” and “Hazlo con Ceramicos” campaigns to help expand ceramic tile usage in North America
- 2018: Promoted the new Green Squared standard and pushed Lamosa to be one of the first companies with products certified under it
- 2019: Supported creating Obra Blanca Expo, the premier tradeshow in Mexico for ceramic tile, finishing materials, and technology
- 2023: Supported the successful renewal of a trade action in Mexico to counteract Chinese dumping practices
The award presented to Sergio was a beautiful, framed tile mural handcrafted by the artist Mr. Barry Perez (Elgin, Texas).
Report Abusive Comment